New Series: Chinese Birthparent Search Community Chronicles

 The weird thing about the Chinese birthparent search community is that it mostly plays out on Facebook, a couple private groups, and group chats, and you need to play detective and be in so many of them just to get a full accounting of what is going on. Huge events shake the adoption community (i.e. the fall of My Taproot) and then fall into oblivion because Facebook shows the newest posts up top and you need to really dig or know what you're looking for to find the old posts. Facebook is obsolete for many people in my generation and is used mostly by adoptive parents. The adoptees who are involved in these conversations and groups are a minority of the entire adoptee community--me included. They aren't truly representative of the adoptees not active in the searching community.

I wish I had the ability to upload everything I know about each individual entity, but unfortunately, this will take some time. However, for my own sanity, and for my own self-respect, I think there needs to be a historian of these ephemeral events that play out across Facebook. New adoptees come to these groups each day asking, "Where do I begin? How can I start my search for my birthfamily?" They don't bother to read the avalanche of posts written before them, asking the very same questions, and it's like a pack of vultures (commenters on Facebook) descend trying to sway the adoptee to a political camp right off the bat. So in a perfect world, I would have liked to start off this series with a quick who's-who of the searching community, but I am tried and already too invested in the current happenings of yesterday and today.

In brief, here is an outlined of what I have planned:

  1. The Rise and Fall of My Taproot
  2. Nanchang Project: Origins and New Directions
  3. DNAConnect: Who are the Stuys and Their Methods of Success
  4. Chongqing Roots of Love
  5. ICSA: All Resources All The Time
  6. Why is money involved and where should it come from?


Comments

Popular Posts