Gatekeeping "Asian"
Growing up in a diverse environment with tons of people from around the world and many international adoptees, I never had people make fun of me for being adopted or for being non-white.
I've had several friends who are Chinese American and no one has ever, ever declared myself to be too white or not Asian enough. It seems ludicrous to rank something like that or to gatekeep identity.
However, I've encountered many people since then who decide that they can bully me by picking on my adoptee-status. I'm in my early twenties and it's sort of like...um, I've grown up Asian American and none of my Asian American friends have ever had a problem with me or my white parents.
But apparently, middle school bullying doesn't end when you get to graduate school.
It did make me think about the concept of "performative" Asian-ness or being able to consume it. For instance, bragging that you drink a lot of bubble tea to prove how Asian you are, or bragging that you can play instruments or get all A's. Things that by no means "defines" being Asian, and yet, many people reinforce over and over stereotypes and mistake that for solidarity.
I am a Chinese American woman. My friends are Chinese American. By our existence, we define who we are. There's no "correct" way to be Asian.


Comments
Post a Comment